Thursday, May 7, 2009

Postmarked 05/04/09

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO THAT I HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE TO MYSELF.

First off I'd like to express my sincerest apologies for not sending letters to anyone yet. I had two written home and three others to close friends. Upsettingly, I woke up the next morning to drill instructor Vega yelling at me that I could not write letters in bed (they were under my pillow) and could only write during my one hour of free time....which, to be frank, isn't free time. Either way, it was a major set back in writing. I got my mail call yesterday. THANK YOU to everyone that wrote me. I got quarterdecked (physically worked to muscle failure) for getting the most letters (15), but I didn't care. The letters gave me a whole new resolve. With the letters came many questions, so I'm going to use this letter mainly to answer all questions.

1. How is the food?- The food is slightly under mediocre, however, we're hungry all the time which makes it better. Also, we're required to eat with only our right hand, with the left under the table at all times. All I have to say is try eating fried chicken with one fork and nothing else.

2. Am I still glad I joined?- Yes. This sucks, and is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I see changes in myself every day, and it gives me strength to push forward to self-betterment.

3. Is it tougher than I expected?- Just a little bit. I figured after a while my muscles would be used to getting beat up and would stop aching. This is incorrect. Every morning I wake up feeling like a grandpa, but still have to hop out of bed like it's Christmas.

4. How sick are you?- Well, when I said I had the flu, I was incorrect. I collapsed on one of our runs and when taken to medical was told I had pneumonia. All I remember from the collapse was my vision distorting every time I landed on a foot, then running lower and lower, then extending my right arms like a bird to balance myself. Then people behind me picking me up and trying to carry me to the end (we were close), and then blacking out and waking up in one of the medical vehicles. I had a temp of 106 degrees and wasn't coherent. I tell all of you this trusting you will not contact MCRD and file a complaint which would only cause me more problems. I am fine now.

5. How do I like the guys in my platoon? - Just like real life, there are your best friends, and there are the guys you stay away from. So far I've gotten along with everyone, but there have been 3-4 pushing matches and one came to blows shortly before getting broken up.

Speaking of fighting, we have a martial arts program called MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) and I can boastfully say I'm one of the best at it. I'm always selected to show the examples and my strikes are much harder than most everyone else. I'll even knock my opponent down through his big pad every now and then. Something about utilizing my entire body for one devastating strike just really clicks for me.

I have to go. More to come later. Take care, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. did u say somtimes cuz u crit chance is low lmfao?

    ReplyDelete